It’s often the little things that help keep family life interesting. French Toast Fridays is one of them in our home!
Mornings are so rushed with everyone needing to get out of the house. Working on providing a sense of calm in the mornings has been one of my priorities this term. Being organised and establishing routines certainly help us to do this. Knowing what is for breakfast usually helps and having fun themes certainly helps the kids get out of bed! Sizzling french toast with jam, nutella helps with this!
- 160ml (2/3 cup) milk
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- Pinch of mixed spice
- 60g unsalted butter
- 6 x 1cm-thick slices white bread
- 1 x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled, washed, halved
- 60ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- Thickened cream, to serve
- Combine the milk, egg, sugar and mixed spice in a bowl.
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan over high heat until foaming.
- Dip 3 bread slices, 1 at a time, in the egg mixture.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Transfer to serving plates. Repeat with remaining butter, bread and egg mixture.
- Top toast with strawberries and cream, jam or nutella.
- Drizzle with maple syrup to serve.